Saturday, March 14, 2009

Thoughts for the Week

-Standardized Tests:  They are just silly.  Especially when you have to proctor them and you forget to pass out the periodic table and you convince yourself to do the right thing and tell your assistant principal and you get a stern "talking to" and now you have a meeting with your principal because you screwed it up royally.  I hate standardized tests.

-French:  I took six years of french in high school and two semesters in college.  Can I speak french?  No.

-Spanish:  I want to learn to speak it.  Should of thought of that in high school.

-Switzerland:  For those of you who may not know, Switzerland is my homeland.  Yesterday, I had the bright idea that we should take a family trip there.  I just wish I could speak french!  But my sister and I have been brushing up on our french (even though she took Spanish).  It has been cracking us up for the past two days straight....Scott thinks it's pretty annoying.  But we think it's hysterical!  Ou mon petit baguette?  Switzerland, here we come!

-Jill and Kate: I have been watching Jill and Kate non-stop all week long as they travel about the world with KC.  Because I've missed several performances due to stupid work, I youtube them when I get home.  Pretty much I've been singing My Life Would Suck Without You all week...so much so that Scott has banned the singing of this song by me in his presence.

-Preparation:  I just got my passport for our cruise (I never had one before!).  Now left on the cruise to-do list is: get rid of these stupid grey hairs...(I'm only 27!), pedicure, new bathing suit, and various new articles of clothing (cruisewear!).  I'm thinking about waxing as well...can someone talk to me about this?  Maybe not on the blog, that might be inappropriate.  I've already said too much.  Just call with your thoughts.

-Pregnancy: Mostly because there are pregnant students every where I go.  When I was in high school, there was one pregnant girl, she sat behind me in Geometry class.  She got knocked up by the foreign exchange student...no joke.  In my high school now, there are seven pregnant girls (that we know of).  One of which will be on a field trip that I am chaperoning on Monday.  When is she due, you may ask?  Next week.  The nurse offered the obstetrics kit to bring with me on the field trip...I declined...I plan on dialing 911 should her water break, NOT delivering a baby.  But seriously, how weird is it that the school nurse has to have an obstetrics kit!??!  I also did a home visit with our school social worker this past week for a student who had a baby and is on maternity leave (ya, maternity leave from high school...).  We knocked on the door of this tiny attic apartment and when the door opened, I couldn't breathe due to the secondhand smoke that engulfed us.  If we were cartoons, there would have been a giant cloud of black smoke the puffed out of the door.  But since we're not cartoons, it was a clear cloud of smoke.  The mom of our student (or should I say "grandma") was holding this cute little 3 week old baby, and I was so sad because this little baby's lungs have probably breathed in more secondhand smoke than I have breathed in my entire life.  It made me wonder why more teenagers don't put their babies up for adoption.  Part of me thinks it is a tad selfish -- these girls aren't ready to be moms and could never care for their babies in their tiny attic apartments as well as an adoptive family could...at least, that's my opinion at this point in time.  So many girls are choosing to keep their babies (YAY!) but then they actually KEEP them...I just wish more of them were a tad more responsible...or maybe be a tad more responsible before becoming pregnant by NOT getting pregnant.  A genius idea!

-We helped my parents clean out some of my grandmother's house today (my grandma passed  away two months ago).  I love her secretary desk, and so I started cleaning it out today in hopes of taking it home with me.  Cleaning out this desk is pretty much a five day job.  Not just because it is CRAMMED with stuff, but because you have to stop and read every letter and look at every picture that she saved and put in this desk for safe keeping.  If there was anyone who loved to save family memorabilia more than me, it was my grandma.  Today I found letters that my great grandfather had written to my great-grandmother before they were married while my great-grandpa was in WWI.  Oh my gosh...they are great to read through!  I love the family that I came from.  

And there you are.  Some serious thoughts, some happy thoughts, some random thoughts, and some sad thoughts.  I've done A LOT of thinking this week.  Time to check out for a while with a little reality TV, basketball and SNL -- no thinking required!

6 comments:

Susie said...

1. Great post
2. They speak French on Switzerland?
3. I'll call you about the wax situation.
4. What exactly is in an obstetrics kit? I've had my share of babies and I haven't a clue. Clean sheets and hot water?
5. I haven't made it past the intro skit on snl in like 4 years.

Lindsey said...

So many things to say...
A) I too can not stop singing "My Life Would Suck Without You" - it's been in my head ALL WEEK LONG! (In a good way!).

B)When are you going on a cruise?!??! I'm wicked jealous!

C) So sad about all the pregnant girls in your school...and SO SAD about the second hand smoke. That just kills me.

D) That's awesome that you're finding old letters! What special keepsakes to hold on to!

E) Miss you!

Sue said...

I like standarized tests. I aced them all. 1600 on SAT's. Just kidding. Tests suck!

I think my french is pretty good, Jason is a little annoyed. I'm glad I made your blog thoughts

I would love to go to switzerland and now that you have your passport, you are almost there.

I love babies. I want one!

Going through grandma's stuff is really cool, although it kind of sucks that we are doing it now instead of when she was alive and could tell us about everythiing. But I noticed you did not happen to blog about how efficient you were at going through her big desk. Now that is a blog.

And I don't wax, I actaully heard taht the hairy look is preferred on cruises. International waters you know.

And to end, I thought you had nothing to blog about and yet this is your longest blog yet. That is great. Can't wait to read the next one.

Sue said...

this is just a test

Sue said...

hey barb, my test worked so you can delete this comment and the previous. I wanted to get e-mails for follow up comments and I did. I guess this test is good.

Dad said...

C'mon Barb! That last blog was so good and revealing of your week's activities and thoughts that I have been expectantly awaiting next entry. When will you weigh in next? I enjoy your sharing!