Sunday, November 9, 2008

This Getting Old Stuff is Getting Old...

As I lay on my couch motionless with my necesseties at my fingertips so I don't have to move my spastic back, I can't help but think...."what happened?" All I did was play in one lousy basketball game. Whilst playing in the big alumni game this past weekend, I felt a twinge in my back. I knew I'd be sore afterwards, but slowly the pain got worse -- to the point where I couldn't put my shoes on or get out of my car. I drove 2 hours to see my bestie Rachel Carter, and as we sat on her couch talking, my back went literally CRAZY! The pain began to shoot through my back, down my legs. I started to shake anna-style and I think I screamed, "RACHEL CARTER! RACHEL CARTER!" but I can't remember exactly...


I slept straight on my back all night, motionless. I drove 3 hours home today with a dull backache and several shooting pains. It took me 5 minutes just to get out of my car once I did get home. Scott has been waiting on my every need (until he just went golfing, that is) and now I am laying on the couch with the computer, my phone(s), my books, Advil, and the channel changer all within arms reach. I'd like to reiterate..."what happened??" (This time with two questions marks).

I was reminded of the answer to this question throughout the weekend -- I'm getting old. I know that some people reading this are thinking to themselves, "yeah, she doesn't know what old is." And that is very true. But this is the first time that I have felt it. Even when I talked with my grandma on the phone today and told her about my back, she replied, "boy, you're getting old." Even my grandma thinks so! My friend, Meghan, and I had a conversation this weekend about life goals. During that conversation, I realized that I don't have as much time to accomplish all of my goals as I thought I did. I don't have all the time in the world anymore. For instance, I'd like to be a History teacher. But I wouldn't pursue that for another five years, then there'd be two more years of school -- for a grand total of seven years. I'm going to be 34 in seven years! Say I teach for at least 6 years, to make it worth it, before moving on to my next life goal of being a florist. By then, I'll be pushing 45. Among other things on the life goal list, I'd like to open up the Smoreshack (a restaurant that ONLY serves smores) and own my very own Dairy Queen. If the timeline in my head is accurate, that puts me in at 74 years of age -- and that's if I start right now! I also need to have a family and learn to speak Spanish in there as well. But, what about all the of the life goals I don't know about yet? There is no time left for those! And I also need to include some flex time in my life plan for things like back spasms and such....it's impossible!


5 years ago, I thought I could accomplish it all. Now, while I am currently experiencing my first "getting old" symptom, I'm not so sure. I told my friend, Anna, today that if I knew before the alumni game that I'd be in this much pain, then I wouldn't have played. What?!?!? Only a person that was getting old would say something like that! I took it back right away...maybe it was the Advil talking.

Then again, I'm currently clicking between (and enjoying, might I add) MTV True Life and Celebrity Rehab. Soooo, I may be getting old, but I can't be getting THAT old....

2 comments:

Mark Beebe said...

I'll know you're getting old when late night crew dies.

Sue said...

Don't worry about not having time to make your goals. Look at me, I'm living my face painting dream before 30. Life is carzy!