If you don't already know, I have side bangs. But, you probably do know because I've been talking about them 24/7 for the past two weeks. And you also probably know because if I have seen you in the past two weeks, I probably waited approximately five seconds to see if you said something like, "Oh my gosh!! I love your side bangs!" And if five seconds was over and I hadn't heard anything like that, then I most likely said, "Look! I have side bangs!" And so then, you would have noticed. So, like I said...you probably already know that I have side bangs...
If you don't have side bangs, then you might not understand what a life changing decision it is to get them. Here's a little history: I had bangs once -- from approximately the 7th grade until my senior year in college, when I made the long awaited decision to "grow them out." I was way behind the times -- no one told me bangs had been out for the past five years! Kind of like when no one told my friend, Anna, that tight rolling jeans was out until her senior year of high school. Anyway, I was bang-less for about a year when...oh, what's that? Bangs are back? Who said that? And I'm behind the times again!
I've been thinking about getting side bangs for a while, probably for the past 8 months or so, but I was afraid to take that leap. For one, the hairdresser I'd been going to was about 75 years old and whenever I would go get my haircut, I was surrounded by other old ladies getting their "old lady" haircuts. I wasn't about to take the step into the world of bangs in an "old lady" salon. For all I knew, I'd end up with 8 inches cut off and a perm. So, I decided I needed to go somewhere "hip" if I was really going to take the plunge. Unfortunately, "hip" equals about $50 for a haircut -- which is about double what I had ever paid before in my life! I was raised on a farm...it's fine. But it was worth it. I exited the "Green Tangerine Spa" with new, "hip" side bangs and a new me.
I never knew that a seemingly small change could have such a large impact on my life. But it did. I now feel sassy. Not that I didn't feel sassy before, but there's something about hair in your eyes that makes you feel sassy, I don't know what it is (life change #1). Second, I feel like I actually have a style, which I'm pretty sure I didn't have before -- unfortunately, this style needs "upkeep" (life change #3). If you know me, (and I think you do), I am not big on the upkeep. I like to roll out of bed and put my hair back in ponytail. Bam, I'm ready for work. Now, I need to straighten the side bangs in the morning, every morning. It's a little thing, but all those extra minutes add up to me being late to work nearly every morning (life change #4). To be honest, the side bangs probably aren't the issue with me being late to work...I think Meredith Viera and Matt Lauer have a little something to do with it...but the lateness coincidentally coincided with the occurrence of the side bangs, so I'll go with that.
Fifthly, you may have noticed that I always wear a hair band on my wrist so I can pull my hair back at a moment's notice. However, now when I pull my hair out of my face...it's still in my face! Side bangs do not pull back so good. Post-side bangs, I now carry clips and/or bobby pins (or a combination of both) with me everywhere I go (life change #6).
For those of you who might not know, I work out about once a week. Impressive, I know. With my hair pulled back into a pony tail, and with my side bangs firmly clipped back, I begin my run on the treadmill. I've always ascribed to the firm belief that one should not look pretty, put together, or "fresh" when working out at the gym. It's just not natural. With my new side bangs, it is easier than ever to look disheveled at the gym. While running, my side bangs slip out of the clips and flop around (or better yet, stick straight up or out). So, I'll clip my side bangs back again, only this time they are pasted down with sweat -- it's awesome. I definitely don't look good at the gym with side bangs, which is in stark contrast to how I looked pre-side bangs (with my hair neatly tied back). This is life change #7.
Perhaps the biggest life change has been that the side bangs make me spend money. It just so happens that "The Green Tangerine," where the side bangs were born, is in an outdoor shopping mall plaza. That same day, I may have walked around the shops and may have bought several items. Everything I tried on looked GREAT with the side bangs! I bought some very cute things that I probably could have never pulled off had I not had the side bangs to help me. That same day, I also felt very proud of myself for taking the leap and thought that I deserved a few new items, much to Scott's chagrin. But don't worry, I bought Scott some things too. Because I didn't want him to feel left out with the new and improved "hip" and "sassy" Barb, I bought Scott his first pair of tight jeans. They are definitely NOT tight, but Scott feels very restricted in them none-the-less because they are actually the right size and look good on him. The tight jeans also look great with the side bangs standing next to them.
Beside my neck being sore from cocking my head to the side to get my new side bangs out of my face, and the side bangs ruining pictures because the flash went off before I had the chance to swipe my new side bangs to the side where they belong, the life changes have been mostly positive. By far, my decision to get side bangs has been the best decision I've made thus far in 2008 -- it's true! I would highly recommend anyone who is currently without side bangs to seriously consider getting them. If you do, you're life will never be the same.
9 comments:
You win! When John comes over tomorrow with his clippers to cut my hair I will definitely be shooting for side bangs!
Will the tight jeans and side bangs make an appearance at Thanksgiving?
Again with the side bangs? Arrrr
Also, reading your blog was quite annoying to me becuase of your life changes either #1 or second or parenthesis, pick a bullet and stick with it, and separate them in paragraphs or don't. You may need to see Mr. Geci.
But all in all I do enjoy your reading your blogs.
I too had a life changing hair cut...we'll chat at the alumni game?
Number one the comment by your dad officially means I need to meet him and number two I am heading to Facebook immediately to see a picture of you with side bangs. If there are none, I will not be happy. Just saying. Thank you, again, for being my inspiration to blog. It has been MY life-changing experience of 2008:)
Me and Mom are going to see the Hair Whisperer next month. I'll ask him about side bangs.
Barb...I love you! Thank you for making me laugh! Can't wait to see the new do next weekend!
Barb, you need a picture of the side bangs to accompany this post!!
and maybe one of the tight jeans too...
Fantabulous post my bestie. Can't wait to see the sassy barb next weekend!!!
Post a Comment