Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Let's Make a Deal!

I've never been a betting woman. The few times I've been to the casino (twice), I've spent the entire time at the nickel slots and have probably never spent more than $20 each time. Even when I had the chance to play Black Jack with Kelly Clarkson at Mohegan Sun, my conservative attitude stopped me. That is why it is so odd that I cannot help but cut deals with anyone and everyone who is willing. It all started about two weeks ago:

Deal #1 - I was dying for a backrub from the hubby. However, back rubs are in low supply no-a-days (I guess that happens when one gets married). So, my request went something like this:

Barb: Can I have a back rub tonight? I would love love love love to have a back rub.

Scott: How long does it have to be?

Barb: 10 minutes, and I'll make our lunches for tomorrow.

Scott: 5 minutes and you make lunch.

Barb: 7 minutes and I'll make lunch.

Scott: Deal.

Deal #2 - One of my students was making a lot of poor choices and was receiving a referral nearly every day for discipline. Our conversation went something like this:

Student: I'm leaving school after lunch and I'm not coming in tommorrow b/c I want a long weekend.

Barb: You CANNOT do that...that's going to add up to, like, 3 days in In School Suspension

Student: I don't care

Barb: If you stay for the remainder of today (2 periods) and come in tomorrow, I will bring you breakfast from Dunkin' Donuts

Student: Fine...but I want breakfast from McDonald's

Barb: If you stay for the rest of the day, and come to school tomrorow, I will bring you breakfast from McDonald's...

Student: Deal. (Handshake!)

Side Note: My student went to his next period class, skipped the last period, and then came to school the next day (which I still consider a success), but spent the day in ISS anyway for being tardy, and then got a referral for insubordination later that day...you can't win 'em all.

Deal #3 - I desperately wanted Dairy Queen the other night, and so I asked Scott to run out to get it. However, since Scott got a tast of the haggling earlier in the week, he decided to haggle some more...

Barb: I would love some DQ

Scott: I'll go if you make our lunches for tomorrow

Barb: If you go to DQ AND give me a 3 min. backrub, then I will make lunch.

Scott: Deal.

(Scott hates making our lunches, so I can tack things on to his end of the deal when lunch-making is in the mix).

Deal #4 - My sister is always trying to get Scott and I to go to the different events that her church sponsors. And so, when her church hosted a revival this past week, her request sounded something like this:

Sue: Will you guys go to our church's revival tonight?

Barb: We'll go if you buy us Friendly's every night all next week

Sue: We'll buy you Friendly's all next week if you go to the revival on Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday

Barb: It will be physically impossible for us to be at church all weekend because we won't be in CT.

Sue: Well, then no Friendly's...will you still come to church tonight?

Barb: No deal.

Deal #5 - This deal could possibly be the deal that breaks the camel's back...wait, do deals break the camel's back? I don't know...anyway...it went down like this:

Barb: I really want to go to FL and I found plane tickets for $226!!

Scott: We cannot go to FL

Barb: If we go to FL, that can be my birthday present.

Scott: If we go to FL, then that will cover ALL GIFTS FOR 2009...BIRTHDAY, ANNIVERSARY and CHRISTMAS!

(This deal is still on the table. I don't think I'm ready to commit to no gifts in 2009.)

Now, you may ask, "Don't you think it's a bad thing to make deals with others whom you are supposed to love and be selfless with?" I really see it as a form of compromising, which is the cornerstone of any good relationship. You also may ask, "Is it inappropriate to bribe your students to be doing that which they should be doing anyway?" If a student makes a good decision, no matter the motivation, then I think it's a good thing. Again, you may ask, "Should you be making deals about going to church?" Well...you may have me there...

Maybe wheelin' and dealin' just ain't my thing...

3 comments:

Stef said...

That was awesome Barb. This post was well worth the wait. I think I will have to start making deals...

J.Hubbs said...

B....Omigosh you are HILARIOUS. I'm not one to LOL by myself but MAN you have me going in the loneliness of my living room. Why don't we live closer to each other. I can't even wait for your next blog. I'm addicted. And there lies my reason for you HAVING to blog every single day.

I'll buy you 5 rounds of Captain Dusty's, or Richardson's, your choice, if you blog every day of the rest of my life...? Good deal? Yes? Great.

Christina Marie said...

your blog totally made me want dairy queen, as well as gave me some good tips for dealing with my students.

although the good thing about younger kids is you can bribe them with much easier things like stickers.

I may start a deal with John to see if he'll get us dairy queen or coldstone right now, I'll let you know how it goes