Tuesday, February 22, 2011

30 By 30 Update

#29. Learn a new song on the piano.

I started playing the piano when I was in the 1st grade. I took lessons until basketball took over my life in high school. You'd think I'd be really good at playing the piano, right? Your thought process probably goes something like this, "Wow! 9 years of piano lessons - she must be an amazing pianist!" or "Is she a professional piano player by now?" or something along those lines. I hate to burst your bubble, but I am totally NOT that good at it. For 9 years, I may have taken lessons but there was very little practicing going on. It didn't help that my brothers would yell at my sister and I for playing while they were watching TV, and it also didn't help that my sister and I were watching TV ourselves, or outside playing, or doing about one million other things that were so much more interesting to us than playing the piano. About 90% of the time, the only practicing that took place was on the day of our lessons - from the time we got home from school until the time we had to leave for our lesson. You don't get very good at something doing that, that's for sure.

But those lessons (and all that money - 9 years, phew!) did not go entirely to waste. We did pick up something. How could you not? However, I am only a recreational pianist. I play when I feel like it - and it actually is a big stress reliever for me. Dare I say it, but I actually enjoy playing (about 15 years too late!) And you know how your parents always say that we'll thank them someday for making us do something? (I can't wait to pull that one out with Brookie) Well, as much as I hated practicing the piano and taking lessons, I am very thankful that I did. And it's so fun to play the piano with Brooke - she loves pressing the keys and hearing the sounds. And I may just be a doting mom, but I totally think she may be a baby prodigy. She doesn't just pound the keys, but she uses her fingers and presses them down - and I pretty much think she's a genius.

So, I tackled a new song. Actually, I tackled 3 new songs. Moon River, You Raise Me Up, and The Prayer. I video-ed it for proof that I learned these songs. But trying to play the piano with a baby who wants to play and have attention is not easy. But anyway, here's a little snippet of Moon River for your listening enjoyment (and maybe also for your lol-ing enjoyment because Brooke would not let me get past the first four lines of the song...and *doting mom alert* she's just so darn cute!) Yay for #29!

1 comment:

J.Hubbs said...

B, I have a question. Are you so inspired by "Song on the 17th" that you and Brookie are starting a "Tuneful Mix on the 26th" series? I bet, just like Jill and Kate, you'll be able to put them together on an iTunes-worthy album.

Now that I think about that, could you put that on your 30 by 30 list? Put aside the fact that it would make it 31 by 30. A Tuneful Mix on the 26th album? I'll help by coming up with some lyrics or something. Lemme know.