Saturday, February 5, 2011

My New Workout

Remember the days when a workout consisted of going to the gym, running on the treadmill, lifting weights with the sweaty weird men in the free weights section, wiping off nautilus machines and then going for a quick tan in the tanning booth? I do. Those were the days. And although I do mourn those "going to the gym" status updates on facebook, I do not mourn the gym membership cost and extra fees.

When Brooke was born, both Scott and I gave up our gym memberships. And since we're on one income now, it doesn't look like the gym is going to happen again anytime soon (plus, where do people find the time? I'm definitely NOT getting up early for that!)

But, I realized today (and other days too, but I really put it together today) that being a mommy is a really good workout! So, here's my basic workout everyday:

-Cardio: Stairs - 10 reps a day, up and down, carrying a 25lb weight named Brooke (at the gym, I never used to name my weights)
- Arms: Vacuuming - 3 rooms a day plus Brooke's toys. Bella sheds A LOT and Brooke has this felt barn/animals that is covered in dog hair every single day, no matter what. So, I take the vacuum hose and go at it - I stretch the hose as far as I can for resistance and start vacuuming, switching hands for each side of the barn and for each animal.
-Legs: Up and downs - Get down on the floor, and then up off the floor. Then to the floor again, then up again. Kind of like squats. Get it? Come to think of it, I do a lot of squats, too, while holding my 25lb weight, to pick up different things off the floor (sippy cups, diapers, stuffed animals, etc...).
-Core: Dog wrestling - As I sit on the floor, I am bombarded on all sides by two dogs wrestling. The goal is to remain in a seated position and play calmly with my 25lb weight and not tip over. It's serious yo.

Obviously, each day is different - sometimes I add to my cardio by walking around Target or the grocery store for a 1/2 hour. Sometimes I add to my arm workout by bouncing my 25lb weight up and down on my lap. Other times, I add sprints to the workout when I hear a huge "thud" or I hear the dogs' water dish being turned upside down.

I am especially getting a good hand workout by blogging so much recently! Phew! Feel the burn! Who needs the gym anyway? Except for the tanning, of course...but I don't think moms are allowed to tan anyway. Where would I set down my weight?


3 comments:

Rachel Ludwick said...

Fantastic post. Brilliant really. Love you!

Dad said...

NOne of my kids ever really needed to work out in a gym. They each spent 4 years (3 for Sus) carrying an entire team through full seasons of basketball! Not that was some serious lifting!

conveyableflow said...

Hah! Can you please from this point forward always refer to Brookie as your "weight"?