Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Here's a Story for You...

So, they say (and I don't know who "they" is) that when you're pregnant you forget stuff.  And I'm kind of a forgetful person to begin with, but it's getting a little bit too much...to the point where I feel completely stupid.  For instance...

Yesterday, I went to the grocery store to pick up two items: Milk and Cream.  The milk was for Scott and me and the cream was for my parents because I had invited myself over to their house for strawberry shortcake and they said I could come if I brought the cream for whipped cream.  Anywho...so, knowing my forgetfulness, I kept thinking to myself "two things, two things, two things" so that I would remember not to leave the grocery store with one thing, or even with three things, but with my TWO things: milk and cream.  As I walked into the grocery store, I was distracted by the large display of grapes that greeted me, and I noticed the amazing price of $.98/lb for them.  You can't beat that, so I decided I would buy some grapes.  (Meanwhile, I forgot to mention, Wrigley was in the car ready to go to her "grandma and grandpa's" for strawberry shortcake too, and she was barking like crazy at everyone in the parking lot, so I was trying to hurry).  So, I grab some grapes and hustle to the dairy section for my other purchase.  Since I have strawberry shortcake on the brain, I hit the cream first and had to look for "heavy cream" since the dairy section was not stocked very well.  After I grab the cream, I think to myself, "two things, two things, two things" and then I think to myself, "I've got my two things: grapes and cream" and I head to the check-out.  After standing in line for about 7 minutes (not really, but I was anxious about Wrigley in the car and getting my strawberry shortcake) the guy in front of me puts his purchases on the belt -- he was buying TWO cartons of milk!  And my memory was jogged.  CRAP!  I forgot the milk...even though I was right next to when I was picking out my cream.  But it was too close to my turn at the check-out, and I was not about to run to the milk and get in the back of the long line with Wrigley probably causing a commotion in the parking lot.  I thought about asking the guy in front of me if he could spare one of his cartons of milk, but I didn't.  Being pregnant may have made me forgetful, but it hasn't made me that weird person in the grocery store who starts talking to random people.  Anyway, that is my story.  I checked out, got to my car to see Wrigley neatly curled up in the passenger's seat, and then we drove to the farm to enjoy the first strawberry shortcake of the season.  Love it.  (See, a happy ending afterall...)

But, I have also learned a valuable lesson.  Because I am getting stupider by the second due to hormones, or lack of blood flow to the brain, or whatever it is, I began making a list.  I have entitled this list my "LIFE LIST" -- a list of things that I do not want to forget to do.  This list includes phone calls I need to make (sorry for forgetting Rachel Carter!), things to clean in the condo (which is just about everything), and things I need to purchase and where I need to purchase them (like 5 Ben & Jerry pints on sale at Target, and if you buy 5 you get a $5.00 giftcard for Target).  Hopefully I will not forget another thing for the next 6 months and beyond.  Unless I forget where I put the list, which there is a 90% chance that that will happen...

p.s. I just forgot to make vegetables with our dinner tonight...so we have meat, potatoes, NO vegy's.  Add it to the list!

1 comment: