Some people may say that Scott and I are pretty much the same person, just different genders. And, in a lot of ways, that's true (minus the hairy factor). And although we have so many similarities, there are several things/sayings/ideas that we encounter everyday that makes us realize that we are indeed very different. Here are a few of the discussions that we've had recently:
-The other night, I came inside with Wrigley to announce that the "whistles" were going off. Scott asked, "the what are going off?" I repeated that the whistles were going off and that there must have been an accident, and he said, "you mean sirens?" That is exactly what I meant. Scott is definitely quick to point out the "different" things that I say.
-A few months ago, I used the phrase "putting on the dog," (probably when we were having company over and I was cleaning like crazy). Scott had never heard the phrase before, and I insisted that it's a pretty common saying that 99% of all people know. We both immediately called each of our parent's and several friends to see if they had ever heard of the phrase. I pretty much won that one...(even though it's not technically a competition, but it really is).
-All week, I have been trying to get Scott to kiss Wrigley. This is another area in which we differ. I love to cuddle with animals, give them kisses (pretty much right on their noses...), etc... Scott, on the other hand, is very the opposite. I would allow Wrigley to sleep on our bed, but Scott is against it. It's a classic case of me LOVING all animals, and Scott just kind of liking them as long as their not bothering him too much. Actually, he's admitted that he does indeed love Wrigley......but he still won't give her a kiss.
-When my grandma was still alive, she would always say things in confidence to my sister and I....to which we would automatically call each other and talk about what my grandma had told us...about each other, the family, etc... (That sounds worse than it is, I promise). Anyway, whenever we would leave her house, we would kiss my grandma goodbye. However, Scott would never kiss her goodbye, no matter how much I tried to coax him. My sister's husband, Jason, on the other hand, would ALWAYS kiss her goodbye. My grandma's explanation for this, one day when we were taking, was that Scott simply was not "country," like the rest of us. She didn't mind that he never kissed her goodbye, because she understood that he wasn't "country" and apparently those who aren't "country" don't kiss their grandma's goodbye. I immediately called my sister to tell her what my grandma had said, and to this day, we joke that Scott isn't "country" whenever we can. (On a side note, Scott kisses his grandma goodbye...as do I. Some might call that a double standard...but not me!)
I think my grandma may have been on to something. I kiss all animals (dogs, cats, cows, etc...) because I love them, I say crazy things like 'whistles' when I mean 'sirens,' 'grinders' when I mean 'subs' or 'soda' when I mean pop, and I hate using napkins -- I would rather just wipe my hands on my clothes (which I do often, usually when Scott isn't looking). Being "country" could be the explanation for all of these differences between Scott and I, (and many more). I'm just saying that if my grandma picked up on it, then there must be something to it...
4 comments:
Hi, First of all, it is whistles and not sirens. And it is not that you say "soda" when you mean "pop". Scott says "pop" when he means "soda". Finally, You may have called me every time Grandma would say not to tell anyone, but I did NOT do that. What grandma told me in confidence has stayed in confidence, and to this day, I know some things from Grandma that you do not know. All in all it was a very good blog even though you broke your husbands blogging rule.
Wow! Did anybody see that BUS drive by that Sue pushed Barb in front of?
Ahh, stirring the pot keeps things from burning on the bottom!
bottom line is We Beebes don't really kiss family. Only Grandma because she turned into a kisser at some point...
Nice Post!
Just a bunch of huggers, we are!
Post a Comment