Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Love Country

If you know me, (and I think you do!), then you know that I love anything country. I may have been known to say things like, "I want my life to be a country song" and "I drink milk straight from the cow." Both true.

We just moved into my grandmother's house, (which is about three minutes from the farm where I grew up), and we are still going through a lot of her things. In one of her desks, I found this poem - pretty much all about being "country," so I thought I'd share:

The Farmer In Town

By Daisy Wright Field in Rural Magazine


No, yer city life don’t suit me,

‘Though you’ve bragged it up a lot,

An’ it is true you hev conveniences

We country folks hain’t got,

But my old farm’s rollin’ acres --

Room fer cow an’ bird an’ bee,

Beats yer cramped up city quarters,

An’ it’s good enough for me.


Yes, It’s mighty fine an’ handy

When ye’re needin’ things to eat,

Fer to hev ‘ems brought right to you

By a wagon in the street;

But when it’s Sat’day evenin’

I kin go to town, you see,

Fer my pipeful an’ my groceries,

An’ it’s just a treat to me.


Yes, your auto is a stunner,

‘Speshly when it hits a man --

But I’ dunno as I need it,

Fer I’ve got a spankin’ span

That I raised myself -- I hitch ‘em

To the old spring wagon -- Gee!

How the wind goes hummin’ by us!

An’ I guess they’ll do fer me!


Yes, it certainly is handy,

When ye’re needin’ of a light,

Jest to touch a ‘lectric button,

Making daytime out o’ night.

But the lamplight’s sorter meller,

When from toil at night we’re free,

Gathered ‘round the table readin’,

An’ it’s handy ‘nuff fer me.


Smell the smoke an’ hear the racket!

Guess it’s time I lit fer hum!

Jest one day’s enough an’ plenty

In the town fer me, I vum!

New-cut hay and fresh-turned furrers --

Smells that fill my heart with glee;

Cluck of hen an’ cowbell’s tinkle --

They’re the sounds that’s best to me!

I don't know what year this poem was written (it was on an old newspaper clipping). But it's just my style. Country music, country living and country poems...love it.

1 comment:

Rachel Ludwick said...

And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is why we are Besties... Awesome.