Today, I was ecstatic to see a turkey family. One mama and ten babies! I was walking around the yard with Brooke and Wrigs, and I heard a lot of rustling in the woods. As I looked closer, I saw our little turkey family! They were so cute - and there were so many of them. The babies were not baby baby, but they were definitely smaller than their mama. They rustled their way to the road, where a car had to stop just in case they decided to cross. They did not. They rustled back into the woods. Wrigley watched the rustling from the confines of her invisible fence - she was very intrigued, but did not chase. Good dog. At this point, it was time for our evening family walk, and so we put Wrigs on a leash and off we went. See you later, turkey family!
And see them later, we did. When we returned from our walk, Scott let Wrigs off of her leash, and I took Brooke inside. As I walked through the kitchen, I looked out the window and there they were! Hello, turkey family! Just pecking their way across our lawn. A split second later, I heard Scott call for Wrigley and my heart sank! I looked out the window to see Mama Turkey take off in flight, with Wrigley in hot pursuit. I screamed, "Scott!! The turkey family!!" As I headed for the back door, I saw Wrigley coming back from her mama chase to chase the babies. They scurried into the woods in the opposite direction that Wrigley had just chased their mama. We hurriedly got Wrigs back onto her leash and brought her inside. I stared out the window hoping to see Mama Turkey return, but she was no where to be seen. Scott assured me that they would find each other again - but I didn't believe him. In the words of my grandma, "Scott is city". He doesn't know a lick about turkeys!
As I made dinner, I kept my eyes on the back lawn watching for my turkey family reunion, but secretly distraught thinking that it would never happen. I know it sounds silly, but I was so sad for Mama Turkey because all I could think of was Brooke. And what if a dog chased me and I had to abandon my baby and she ran into the woods and we were separated and Brooke was lost - what would I do??? How scared Brooke would be!! My heart was breaking for my turkey family and how sad and lost the babies were and how distraught Mama must be!
All of a sudden, I saw Mama Turkey strutting across our lawn. She walked into the woods where her babies had run. I opened the back door and heard *cluck cluck cluck* - Mama was calling for her babies. Yay!!! I hope she finds them! Not wanting to scare her, I waited five minutes or so before I went out to the edge of our yard to investigate. Peering into the woods, I saw them! All 10 babies and Mama, rustling up the hill together. They found each other! What a happy ending!
Scott says the moral of this story is that he is always right. I disagree. I believe the moral of this story is that nothing can stop a mother's love!! I also learned that if a dog ever separates Brooke and I, all I have to do is *cluck* for her, and we'll be reunited. I love happy endings.
No comments:
Post a Comment