Thursday, April 5, 2012

A Day in the Life

I thought I'd give you a glimpse into what a typical day is like around here.

7am - Scott kisses me goodbye before heading downstairs and off to work (most of the time, this is a blur to me because I'm usually still tucked into bed, prancing around in dreamland.

7:01am - The kids are awake.  I don't know if they hear Scott go down the stairs, or if they've been awake for a while and I'm just roused enough out of my sleep to hear them, but it's like clockwork, my friends.

7:20am - I finally get out of bed, brush my teeth, do my whole morning thang and get the kids.

7:30am - We made it downstairs.  Phew!  With various stuffed animals and toys in tow.  We are changing diapers and getting dressed.


8:00am - Breakfast is on the table.  Thankfully Brooke prefers cereal - well, maybe not thankfully, because most of the time she wants "Daddy's cereal" which is some variety of sugary kid cereal.  Though I have to admit that it is super cute hearing Brooke say "Cap'n Crunch."

8:45am - Play play play, I clean up what I can here and there, and more playing.



10:00am - Karis naps and Brooke watches a Mickey's Clubhouse or Sesame Street or Blues Clues - whatever she requests, she gets, because it's mommy rest time!  Usually, by this time, my sister has called to say she is coming over with Brooke's 2 year old cousin, Evie.

11:00am - My sister is here and Brooke and Evie are causing a ruckus.  Karis is waking up around this time or shortly there after.  Girl won't sleep more than an hour these days.


(I know, the picture above doesn't look like they are causing a ruckus, but trust me, they are).

12:00 - Lunch!

1:30am - My sister has left and it is time to get these kids down for a nap already!

1:30-2:00 - I watch the last half hour (or less depending on how easy the kiddos went down for their naps) of Days of Our Lives.

3:00pm - Karis is waking up, which usually turns into Brooke waking up.  And that usually turns into whatever keeps the kids happy until Scott gets home.

5:00pm - Karis takes a third nap (maybe) and I start making supper (maybe).  If it's nice outside, while supper's in the oven, we might play outside.




5:30pm - Scott is home!!  Hallelujah!  There is nothing sweeter than the relief of having Daddy home to take over kid duty for a few minutes.  Nothing.  Sweeter.

6:00pm - Supper

7:00pm - Start getting ready for bed

7:30pm - 'Night-'night time!!  Woo-hoo!

Now that I type it all out, it reads rather monotonous, no?  There is a lot I'm glazing over, like bubbles and sidewalk chalk, and all the crying (oh golly, the crying!) and Brooke telling Evie to "look alive" as she throws a plastic ball at her.  And there's the dogs barking and me sneaking a quick facebook check on my phone while the girls have their backs turned.  Sometimes there's a craft, or a couple more episodes of Mickey Mouse because Brooke was just too cute when she asked, "will you watch Clubhouse with me, please?"  I mean, especially when she throws a "please" in there, what can a Mommy do?

So what if I haven't picked up my dry cleaning and it's been sitting there for the past 6 weeks because there is not time in my schedule above to get there?!  If there was ever a dry cleaners hall of shame for leaving clothes with them for months at a time, I would be on that wall.  Multiple times.

But I say, bring on the shame!  Because I am living the life!  The life of not having any clothes because they are all the dry cleaners?  No!  The life of having two amazing little girls who throw as much life at me as they possibly can all day long.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Love the family you and Scott have become! And love what an amazing mom you are to Brooke and Karis!