Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My Coaching Debut

Just thought I'd give everyone a little rundown of my first ever career coaching appearance. Let's just get the anticipation over with...we won 53 to 28. It was pretty awesome. Let's just start from the beginning:

First of all, it was very weird that I was in charge of 9 girls today. Just me. No assistant principals, no head coach, just little old me. To an away game! I had to get the medkit, a cooler of ice, extra uniforms, cookies for the ride home --so many responsibilities. On our bus ride, my girls sat in the back of the bus singing rap songs (it was tooooo much...in a funny way) and I sat in the front of the bus with my clipboard diagramming the plays, and in general, trying to prepare myself for any situation that could arise. I definitely wore my Wednesday best, and I wore my hair up so that I would look just a tad bit athletic. (When I say I thought through everything, I'm not kidding). Once we got to the gym, everything ran smoothly. If one knows me, one would think that I would be a coach who sits on the sideline during the entire game, calm as a cucumber. However, one would be wrong. It's kind of like how no matter how much I've watched Rocky IV, I still get really excited and tense when Rocky is fighting the Russian...even thought (spoiler alert) I know Rocky's going to win and bring together the two greatest nations on earth in a single bout. But I can't help but clap my hands, and wave my arms, and fake punch the air. That's kind of how I am coaching (minus the fake punching...because that really doesn't pertain here). I definitely did a lot of standing and sitting -- and I came up with a couple signature poses while standing on the sideline. Let's face it, it's a little awkward to just stand, sit, and stand and sit. Rather, I stand, pose, sit, stand, walk, pose, sit. See the difference there? Don't worry, you'll catch on. Someday, Coach K will be standing on the sideline of the Final Four in an intense and yet familiar way, and someone in the crowd will recognize it and say, "Oh, he's pulling a B Beebe." Yeah, that's how signature my poses will become.

Anyway, aside from all of that, my official coaching career win loss record reads something like this: 1-0. Undefeated. Scott was quick to point out that if I lose my next game, that record goes to .500 pretty quickly. But whatever, THS freshmen girls are stacked. Other highlights of the night included:
-My girls on the bench commenting on how much they loved my shoes (while the game was in session...) I love coaching girls!
-Scott showed up for my debut...a surprise! I love my husband!
-My first injury and having to run onto the court with one of my girls lying there in pain...Scott said I looked unsure of what to do, but I figured it out. No matter what the injury, help the girl off the court and get some ice. That's it. Pretty simple. I'll be ready next time.
-We were winning by 20 and I didn't call off our full court press in the fourth quarter until there was 2:30 left in the game. My bad. I kept forgetting to tell them, and then they'd press and I'd say to myself, "self, remember to tell them to drop back next time down" and then I'd forget again. Until we stripped the ball three times in a row in the backcourt. It was my coaching debut, I had to make a statement, let those other freshmen coaches know I'm not messing around! Either that, or I don't know what I'm doing...

To sum it all up: Love it. Love basketball. Love coaching. Love Scott. Love my shoes. Love it all!

Editor's Note: Scott thinks that the phrase is "cool as a cucumber," however, I believe one can be "calm as a cucumber" as well. It's up for interpretation.

3 comments:

Susie said...

Congratulations! Big Win! And you DO have cute shoes - yea!

Lindsey said...

Congrats on your big win Barb! Undefeated! I'm SO impressed!!! I love your blog! yay!

J.Hubbs said...

You know what I'M just sayin'?

It's been 9 days. I have a snow day tomorrow and will be checking your blog intermittently (yeah that's right) throughout the day. I have a challenge for you....don't let me down.

You're too busy playing with a puppy or is that not until after Christmas?