Monday, November 16, 2009

XM Radio is XM Awesome

When Scott and I bought our grown up car 1 and 1/2 months ago, (aptly named Goldilocks the Equinox), there were a lot of things to get used to - like experiencing what it's like to drive a space-ship and being able to see into people's car sunroofs. But probably the biggest and most awesome adjustment has been in our radio...more specifically, our complimentary 3 month FREE subscription to XM radio, thanks to Chevrolet. At our fingertips are now a plethora of stations...hundreds, to be exact...to listen to. I have always been an avid listener of just one radio station (shout out to country 92.5!), so adjusting to all of these options could have been overwhelming...and it was, until I stumbled across XM Prime Country as I tested the space ship dials of our radio console. All of the country hits from my childhood came flooding back into my ears. Country songs from the last 30 years!! Nearly every song sends me back to my childhood, sitting in my dad's pick-up truck, singing along to Billy Ray Cyrus and The Judds, as we drove down our country road - back when listening to country music was soooo not cool, unless you were a 60 year old farmer. Back before Tim McGraw was a hottie and Kenny Chesney hit the scene with a margarita in hand. It was all small town, steel guitar, and twang...and it was pretty awesome. XM Prime Country has brought it all back - and I could not be a happier camper! Scott, on other hand, does not so much enjoy the XM Prime Country, for three main reasons: Reason #1 - Scott does not like country music (especially the twang). Reason #2 - No commercials, so he can't flip when the songs end. Reason #3 - Because every song that comes on I exclaim, "I love this song!" or "I haven't heard this song in forever!", and once again, he can't flip stations.

Despite this apparent discord, XM radio has truly brought Scott and I closer together. Scott has learned that I can sing along to nearly every country song ever written (he's wicked impressed) and I have learned that Scott is old school. Old school in the fact that his XM radio station of choice is 90's on 9 - a radio station devoted to pop, alternative and rap songs from the awesome decade of our childhood - the 90's. I keep telling Scott that listening to 90's on 9 is totally making him "old" - it's like when our parents used to listen to oldies stations growing up. But, I'm not gonna' lie, when 'Hit Me Baby, One More Time' comes on 90's on 9, there is no turning to Prime Country. (Some songs can trump Prime Country - it's true). I've also enjoyed listening to Scott sing along to Bone Thugz n' Harmony, word for word. Who woulda' thought?!

And to think, these are things Scott and I would have never known about each other had XM radio never entered our lives. Not only has Goldilocks enriched our lives through her space ship status - and the fact that she now has a car seat securely fastened in the backseat - she has brought us the gift of music...free music...free awesome music...until January, when our free subscription will be over and our music world will once again be defined by AM and FM only. No more childhood reminiscing to each song. No more stories about high school hi-jinx that each song conjures up. And no more questions like, "how long did it take you to memorize every word to 'Gettin' Jiggy Wit It??'

But we still have 1 and 1/2 months to go...and we will certainly be get jiggy wit' it for free for as long as we can...

2 comments:

Sue said...

I feel like I read this blog before, like in the car on the way home whilst listening to prime country. So many good songs to sing along to. How expensive is XM radio anyways? Keep it up, you already got rid of cable, treat yourself to radio. Brooke needs to know what real country is. Well if you don't keep XM, then I guess I can sing her to sleep with "Ring of fire", "Don't shake the sugar tree" and "Down at the twist and shout"

Dad said...

"get jiggy with it"? omg! I can't believe that is Barb! What is happening up there???