Every year, as I look for coupons and online deals and hear about the Black Friday hub-bub, I get frugal and I think - "no Christmas cards this year! It costs too much, and don't get me started on postage!" Yeah, don't get me started on postage. I'll pull a "mom" on you and say things like, "I remember when it cost $.29 to mail a letter!" (That one will pack much more of a punch when I'm 80 then it does now...but whatever).
Back on topic. But then I get all the Christmas cards in the mail from all my friends who have cute kids and then I think how cute my kids photos would look on that Christmas card next to the baby Jesus... And then I'm online, last minute, googling things like, "Christmas cards in under an hour" so that I can get them in time and mail them before Christmas Eve.
Anywho - this year I am on top of it! I know it's inevitable that I will want to send out Christmas cards to show off my girls. And since it was a beautiful day - a perfect Christmas card photo day - we had a mini-photo shoot after church. They were already dressed in their Sunday best, so I attempted to sit my girls down and get the perfect Christmas card photo. Though we managed some keepers, I thought I'd grace you with some of the not-so-keepers.
Brooke actually did really well - for about 5 minutes until she got bored and she was off to her swing set. But Karis was having nothing of it right from the beginning.
Then they found the hole that our dogs had dug and it was filled with dead leaves. LEAVES! Have you ever heard of anything more magical? I just kept snapping pictures in the hopes that Karis might turn around and flash a smile for no reason at all and it'd be the perfect shot - I had to be ready. It didn't happen - at least not while this hole held those tiny baby bunnies that were so soft and fuzzy...oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean bunnies, I meant dead leaves.
"Oh my goodness, girls! Enough with the dead leaves in the hole!" (Those were my exact words to them...)
We're almost there...it's a smile, at least...
But we made the mistake of mentioning her tongue, and then she proceeded to show us all of her facial features. For instance, her ears:
Brooke did try to help - she tried to get Karis to smile by playing peek-a-boo. It had the opposite effect:
Oh my gosh! What a fantastic picture! But wha...who...that's right. Wrigley photo-bombed the picture. "Dear Wrigley, you are not included on the Christmas card. So stop messing with the pictures! Love, Mom".
Not to mention Brooke's red boots. They used to be her cousins and are super cute - but they do not go with a purple-themed Christmas card picture outfit! She is in love with these things, though, so we let her wear them in the pictures because they are the only "Christmasy" thing about her outfit.
Out of approximately 40 pictures taken, I had 4 that would work. FOUR! I don't know how professional photographers do this. But, they'd probably be the first to tell me that it only takes one shot to make it worth it. Well, these Christmas cards better be worth it! :)
1 comment:
A collage of photos. With the two of them relaxing, then Kairs side by side showing off her tongue and ears, then with Brooke and Wrigs. Then cut to the both of them looking out the windows of the door during the snow storm. Add some Cartoon Christmas Characters such as Disney or Peanuts from Walmart card maker and you've got yourself a great card!! (P.S. I love the bunny comment)
Post a Comment