Thursday, June 14, 2012

Typical 2 Year Old? Or Artistic Genius?

Our bathroom needs some artwork.  And since I'm against decorating with things that do not have significant meaning, I decided I would take some of Brooke's artwork and hang them up.  This way, I could keep recycling her artwork too.  But as I began to lay out her paintings and decide where I was going to cut them for the frames, I remembered what I wrote in my last blog - about Brooke's artwork being worth thousands.  

Ok, so I said that as a joke in my last blog.  But what if it's not a joke?  Frankly, I LOVE what she paints.  I think it's so awesome!  Maybe her artwork should be worth thousands!  See for yourself:

 Ignore the UNO card and un-vacuumed rug)

These are the four pieces that are going in our bathroom.  Maybe it's the Ikea frames, but I think it looks pretty darn good.


I mean, I'm pretty sure those kids on the Today Show who sell their artwork for thousands are just scribbling (just like Brooke), but people like it and they buy it.  The kids probably have no idea what they're doing.  Real artists should be upset about that.  But people jump on the bandwagon and the novelty of a 2 year old creating such meaningful and amazing art.  So why not jump on my 2 year old's bandwagon?!?

 (This one reminds me of Monet's Water Lilies. Am I the only one?)

So one of three things is at work here:

1. I'm a biased mom who thinks my kid is great and over-the-top talented, (which she obviously is), but I'm the only one who thinks so.

2. The $2 Ikea frames (can you believe only $2!?) make anything look great.  I could frame a piece of poop and it would look awesome.

Or...
3. Brooke really is an artistic genius.


I think option #1 is really the thing going on here, but just in case it's #3, here's my plan:  My mom, sis and I are having a tag sale in a couple weeks.  I'm going to buy a bunch of frames.  Then I'll lock Brooke outside with her easel and paints for hours at a time, and I'll frame what she creates.  I'll bring them to the tag sale and try to sell them for $10/each.  Ok, maybe $8.  I know it's not the thousands I think they could pull in, but it's a tag sale crowd - you have to know your market...(shout out to my one Economics class I took in college!  Woot-woot!)

This one is actually my favorite, but it's not a great picture.  Sorry.

Meanwhile, if you can't make it to our tag sale, just email me your order.  Or you could just come visit us and enjoy her artwork from your seat in the bathroom.  

I'll let you know if B gets discovered at the tag sale - if she does, then you'll be kicking yourself that you didn't purchase one of her painting for $8 when you had the chance!

1 comment:

Mom said...

She is obviously an artist in the making! My favorite is the second one. I love how she uses so many bright colors!