Sunday, October 18, 2009

It's Hard to Say "Goodbye"

About three weeks ago, I said "goodbye" to a dear old friend - Chandelier the Cavalier. New in 2001, she was faithful and true to me for over 8 years. Though totaled only three days after I got her (I was rear-ended on the Mass Pike...) she survived, and was good as new. Amazingly, she was never in the auto shop after that one time - not once (except for having her breaks done at 90,000 miles). She was with me wherever I went - to GC for two years, then to Melrose where we drove into East Boston every day for a year. She followed me to Charlotte, NC for those first few months of married life, and then back to CT and to every apartment/condo we've lived in since. She's driven across the country to Chicago and back, and to Charlotte and back twice.

She was "my" car. Until...we had to say goodbye. It was a heartbreaking decision to trade her in. But with an expanding belly and soon expanding family, Scott and I knew we would need more room. And with both of our cars pushing 150,000 miles, we knew we would need to give one of them up. We made the decision to give up Chandelier, mostly because of her manual locks/windows and standard shift. Sure, the air-conditioning didn't work unless the fan was on level 4, but that was just all part of her charm. (Although, Scott didn't think so). I couldn't have asked for a better partner with which to share life (well, Chandelier AND Scott). I'm sad that she won't be here to help drive me through the next phase of my life, but she knew how much I loved her.



(I'll post pictures of the new family vehicle when it stops raining and/or snowing outside long enough to take a picture!)

No comments: